General Purpose of Position: The Underwriter role will determine eligibility of risks in accordance with guidelines of available programs for the purpose of insuring profitable risks.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: The following are the usual, basic and essential functions of the position. These functions are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
- Evaluates submissions, renewals, endorsements and other requests within delegated levels of authority. Assists with team member training as directed by supervisor. Uses knowledge and independent judgment to determine eligibility of risks.
- Reviews inspections to ensure compliance with underwriting guidelines and insurance to value. Reviews complex accounts with Underwriting Team Lead or Manager to evaluate and gain approval of underwriting decisions as appropriate. Responds to questions from agents, insureds and vendors. Assists agents with comments or questions about application submittals and the likelihood of acceptance by company. Fosters effective working relationship with agents, Agency Development Managers, Underwriting team members and members of other departments.
- Conducts effective agency training as needed; secures market information and shares with other departments. Works well with team members to ensure efficient workflow. Provides suggestions/feedback for workflow improvement. Anticipates customer needs and resolves customer problems. Meets expectations for punctuality and attendance. Listens and observes employee communications with agents and others for the purpose of improving customer service.
- Reliably completes complex projects assigned by management.
- Promote a culture of personal responsibility, open communications and continuous improvement Ensure fair and ethical policies and practices in all relationships and operations Exhibits leadership experience and skills Exceptional problem solving ability
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
High School Graduate or equivalent; College level courses with emphasis on business studies helpful. Minimum 3 years personal lines property underwriting experience or Bachelor's degree. Personal Lines insurance experience in Florida, Texas, and/or Louisiana is preferable. 4-40 or 2-20 license or other relevant professional designations and certifications highly desirable. Demonstrates advanced knowledge of underwriting fundamentals. Demonstrates knowledge of rates, products and coverages. Makes sound underwriting recommendations and decisions. Demonstrates thorough understanding of independent and/or direct writer agency requirements and methods of operation. Demonstrates problem solving and analytical skills. Must be an efficient multitasker. Demonstrates effective verbal and written communication skills. Intermediate Windows Operating Systems, Word and basic Excel; Outlook, AS400, Web based software. Ability to manage relationships in a fast-paced environment, while demonstrating persistence and problem-solving skills Emotional intelligence – self-awareness, confidence, ability to manage conflict, empathy Ability to read/write/speak English required; Bilingual Spanish highly encouraged to apply Certificates or Licenses:
As required by regulatory entities. Relevant professional designations or skill certifications are desirable.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. The employee may be required to use any or all of the following on a daily basis: PC, telephone, cell phone, scanner, fax, printer and other office equipment.