Underwriter (Personal Lines)
Summary: Reviews insurance applications, policy changes and renewals to evaluate, classify, set rates, accept, modify or reject coverage. Ensures that Company underwriting guidelines and procedures are followed. Is responsible for an assigned area/district.
- Reviews and evaluates applications, policy changes and renewals to verify compliance with guidelines and acceptability and that reflect sound underwriting judgment.
- Examines documents, forms, reports and maps to determine degree of risk and to make proper underwriting decisions.
- Communicates with field representatives, agents and insureds to obtain further information, quote rates, explain company policies.
- Reunderwrites existing policies as needed and assigns modifications or non-renewals.
- Monitors loss ratios with in assigned area/district.
- Initiates field audits, surveys and inspections and implements appropriate decisions.
- Attends and participates in various meetings, conferences and seminars.
- Maintains adequate work flow.
- Verifies pictures for reinspection program, reviews property reinspections to verify insurability of property and if any policy changes need to be made
- Assists in Loss Review Program, in updating underwriting manuals and procedures and training other underwriters.
- Bachelor's Degree, Majoring in Business or related field is preferred or
- High School Diploma with 3-5 years related business/insurance work experience required
- Proficient in English written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build strong customer relationships, Friendly and service-oriented
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem solving skills