Senior Accountant, First City Insurers
Named one of the Best Places to Work in Northeast Florida for the past two years, Brightway Insurance is a national property/casualty distribution company that sells through a network of franchises and independent agents throughout the U.S. The company is among the largest Personal Lines agencies in the country and has been recognized as a Franchise 500 company by Entrepreneur for seven years. Founded in 2008, Brightway has since grown to over 200 locations across 22 states serving customers in all 50 states, and we’ve been named one of the Fastest Growing Companies in Northeast Florida by the Jacksonville Business Journal for 11 consecutive years. At Home Office, our employees are focused on delivering holistic business support that empowers agents to sell more.
Brightway employees enjoy:
· Competitive salary
· Paid time off
· Medical/Dental/Life/Disability Insurance
· Market-leading 401(k) with 4% match
· Tuition reimbursement regardless of course of study
· Comprehensive paid training
Most importantly, they enjoy a family-based culture of inclusiveness where they can build positive, supportive relationships with co-workers, customers and agents.
Learn more about open positions at Brightway and starting a career with the company at Brightway.com/careers.
ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY:
Senior Accountant, First City Insurers
Brightway seeks a detail oriented, self-starter to take on the Accounting duties for its Managing General Agency,
First City Insurers. This position will report to the VP, Accounting Operations at Brightway Insurance. The qualified candidate will:
- Be well-versed with the inner workings of a Managing General Agency and have experience in working on an MGA Accounting team
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Company’s Accounting Processes.
- Understand the MGA’s management system and implement processes that streamline accounting processes and promote efficiency
- Ensure the Company complies with applicable laws and regulations, including but not limited to State Taxes, Stamping fees, MGA fees, etc.
- Reconcile FSLSO/pays DFS tax, FHCF & CPIC & upload extract files and respond to TIQs
- Reconciles all commissions payables and receivables Responsible for company payables
- Record monthly journal entries into the accounting software
- Maintain reconciliations for balance sheet accounts including detailed documentation to substantiate the data
- Assist with the annual budget and midyear re-budget (including but not limited to):
- Gathering cost estimates, data entry into the budgeting software and analyzing past financials
- Enter and post daily bank transactions
- Verify that transactions comply with financial policies, procedures, and budget.
- Serve as the main point of contact for AP Items: which includes the day-to-day processing of accounts payable transactions to ensure that finances are maintained in an effective and accurate manner; research and
- Receive and verify invoices and purchase orders for goods and services.
- Code, process and post invoices to accounting system.
- Process reports after data entry.
- Maintains vendor files (W-9’s / 1099’s).
- Remitting payment on approved vendor invoices in a timely manner; ensuring appropriate adjustments are received on any outstanding credits
- Responsible for maintaining accurate fixed asset records and recording monthly depreciation
- Responsible for creating annual fixed asset tax records/forms
- Serve as the liaison between related entities (Brightway Insurance).
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- In-depth P&C/MGA insurance knowledge with financial acumen, including understanding of industry
- 5+ years of accounting experience
- 5+ years of insurance industry experience in Excess and Surplus Lines and tax filings
- Self-starter; possesses the ability to perform assigned tasks with minimal direct supervision
- The ideal candidate would have experience working in a growing MGA Accounting team and have the
ability to implement processes and best practices all while maintaining the normal workload
- Possesses effective communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrates an ability to function well within a team-oriented environment
- Possesses appropriate inter-personal skills
Brightway is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.