Underwriter - Personal Lines
Reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate individuals and groups for insurance and accepts or rejects applications by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate property policies for insurance based on underwriting guidelines.
- Enters data into computer following format displayed on screen.
- Examines applications, inspection reports, insurance maps, and credit reports to determine risk and rate.
- Accepts or rejects applications based on underwriting guidelines.
- Communicates daily with agents via telephone and email to assist in risk placement and rating, to obtain information and answer agent inquiries.
- Corresponds with field reps and other insurance or inspection companies to obtain information, answer inquiries, or explain company underwriting policies.
- Reviews insurance applications and endorsements to evaluate, classify, and rate Personal Lines policies of insurance.
- Applies advanced concepts of risk management to groups of policies.
- Understands the components and drivers of loss ratio and can incorporate that knowledge into modifying underwriting guidelines.
- Analyzes data and makes sound recommendations to increase profitability.
- Additional duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Insurance designations are desirable.