Life & Health - Junior Underwriter
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The underwriting department at Allstate Benefits (AB) is responsible for providing effective risk management in support of our corporate goals and current risk tolerance. This includes applying account level underwriting (Industry, persistency, claims, etc) and individual application level underwriting (health history, product pricing, compliance standards, etc).
The Analyst functions as a Junior Underwriter and reviews and analyzes applications for the degree of risk posed to the company by applicants for both individual and group coverage. The Underwriter determines eligibility based on information provided on the application, product, state or filing restrictions, Medical Information Bureau reports, and any other information provided to determine if the profile meets within the companys established guidelines.
- Reviews applications for eligibility based on admitted health history, product, state or filing restrictions, MIB and any other source of information provided for review
- Review referred files from the claims area where information has been developed that was not disclosed on the original application
- Reviews requests for policy changes and reinstatements to determine eligibility
- Maintain positive relationships with our internal and external customers through effective Written and Verbal Communication skills, including agents, proposed insureds, and State Departments of Insurance
- Risk Selection decisions are handled in a quality, timely, and productive manner
- Proficiency in medical terminology and procedures
- Two years underwriting experience required
- Prior life and health insurance industry experience preferred
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Proficient computer skills using various software packages including MS Outlook, Excel and Word
- Intermediate experience preferred with the following AB applications - AIM, AWD, All App and/or Life 70
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.