Junior Group Underwriter
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The underwriting department at Allstate Benefits is responsible for providing effective risk management in support of our corporate goals and current risk tolerance. This includes applying account level underwriting (industry, persistency, claims, etc.) and individual application level underwriting (health history, product pricing, compliance standards, etc.)
The Consultant funcitions as Junior Underwriter, and will underwrite small to larger size cases, for new and renewal business, add-ons to existing clients, contract revisions, and other policy owner service work having a high level of risk and significant financial impact to the company.
- Analyze data related to the risk being underwritten for small to large cases, in order to determine what benefits, if any, can be offered and at what rates
- Using Allstate Benefits' workflow management tools, thoroughly document thought processes to support decisions made regarding specific cases
- Make case level decisions using independent judgment as well as following underwriting guidelines
- Conduct research in order to secure additional data needed to make determinations on benefits and premiums
- Reviews requests for master policy changes to determine eligibility
- Communicate with policy owners, applicants, brokers, agencies, and/or other sources concerning underwriting decisions and procedures
- Develop credibility with sales force, brokers, as well as internal and external customers
- Respond timely and accurately to requests made to the underwriting team while maintaining positive relationships with our internal and external customers through effective written and verbal communication skills which include agents and proposed insureds
- Prepare proposals and/or offer information and coordinate final proposal presentation, including preparation of all required exhibits
- Makes recommendations to management regarding account analysis and underwriting risk decisions
- Minimum of 2 years of Group Insurance Underwriting and/or Special Risk Underwriting skills and experience in Life, Disability, Health and/or Worksite products
- Proven use of judgement and critical thinking abilities
- Ability to make decisions and justify the decisions with sound and logical reasoning
- Creative problem-solving skills with advanced attention to detail
- Strong mathematical aptitude
- Strong relationship building with internal and external business partners
- Strong knowledge of Allstate Benefits' (AB) group products
- Ability to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
- Ability to persuade and negotiate
- Proficient computer skills using various software packages including MS Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Intermediate experience preferred with the following AB applications - AIM, AWD, All App and/or Life 70.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.